Expansion Joints

Somewhat Daily Happenings of an Intern Architect

6.27.2005

Updated Blog

Okay, so I haven't updated my blog in two and a half weeks. Actually, it is for the best because nothing exciting has happened around here. I wouldn't want to write a bunch of nonsense just to have an updated blog.

I have mainly been working. Not too hard, but enough to keep me busy during the day. Oh, I finally spoke with my client (who I thought had been avoiding me because she owes us money). We are designing a Ramada Inn for her. She was at a RI conference last week. Evidently the president of Ramada has seen the drawings and all of the Ramada bigwigs love it. Yes, I designed it all by myself. Pretty cool, I'd say. The pres. is supposed to be at the grand opening (next year). I will make sure that I introduce myself. Corporate architecture? It could be fun. Especially if I get to influence the prototypes and make them more concious of design and place instead of making every friggin building look the same no matter where it is built. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I need to get the drawings out to bid first, and get this project built. Then I'll save the world.

My husband and I went to a friends baby shower yesterday afternoon. Luckily it was not the typical shower with stupid games. Why would anyone want to look at a candy bar smushed into a diaper and guess what it is. Stupid. Anyway, no games were played. Instead we each brought an item to tie-dye for ourselves and one for the baby. I have never tie-dyed anything before, but the t-shirt I did for myself turned out awesome!!!! I will actually wear it. Maybe I have an inherent talent for tie-dye.

We will be off to sunny Florida Thursday evening. Lots of beach and pool time in my weekend. Yeah!!! It has been a couple of years since we've been down there. I am really looking forward to relaxing and getting a tan.

Oh, speaking of tan. Always check clothing sizes on the rack. Do not rely on the size on the hanger. I went to Target to get an new bathing suit. After searching through all of the suits, I found one that I like with the top and bottom in my size. So I buy it, take it home and start to put it in the laundry to be washed. After I pull off the tags I notice the top is a size larger than I thought I bought. I call Target and they say they have my size and will put it up front to be exchanged. The next morning I drive to Target, pick up a couple of items and go to exchange the top. They can't find the one that was supposed to be set aside! I was furious. I would not have even driven there if I knew that. So, I go to the mall to see if Old Navy has something. Well, it is 11:10 Sunday morning. Old Navy doesn't open until noon. What is up with that???? So, this evening I get to go to the mall and hope that Old Navy or American Eagle has a bathing suit I like in my size. The way things are going, I am not counting on it.

Well, that's all I have.

7 Comments:

At 27 June, 2005 19:00 , Blogger Summer from Lorelei Caroline said...

American Eagle has some really cute tankinis. I got one...the top and bottom were $20 all together.

 
At 28 June, 2005 07:49 , Blogger Heather said...

I got a reversible blue striped halter top and bikini bottom for $20. Yeah for AE!

 
At 29 June, 2005 01:24 , Blogger Josh K said...

You designed a building!? I understand that's kind of what engineers do and all, but still. I assumed it would be more of a collaboration or something. That's awesome!

 
At 29 June, 2005 08:17 , Blogger Heather said...

no, architects design the buildings and engineers basically make them work. Obviously there is more to it than that, but I design buildings for a living.

 
At 29 June, 2005 10:18 , Blogger Josh K said...

Yes I know, sorry. From now on I'll not try to type, speak, or think at that time of night...morning.

 
At 29 June, 2005 16:03 , Blogger Heather said...

Don't feel bad. I probably came across as snappy. Not so. You would be amazed at how many people do not really understand what I do. Of course, sometimes I don't understand it :) So, I find myself giving dumbed down answers. I did not mean to insult your intelligence. Of course, I don't even know you, so I may not be ;)

Designing a building is a collaborative effort. But, I also have a lot of influence (with the right client).

 
At 29 June, 2005 23:55 , Blogger Josh K said...

You didn't come off as snappy. Seemed more like pity for the fool :)
Anyway, still cool.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home