Expansion Joints

Somewhat Daily Happenings of an Intern Architect

8.23.2005

Why are we here?

Religion.

This is a word that can bring many connotations, depending on where and how you were raised.

Religion is defined as:
Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion

Why, then, has religion been caught up in the mega and the political. Where has religion gone?

I grew up in a strict but fair religion. I was taught that a relationship between an individual and God is personal. You are called by God to be a member of his family. The main message I remember from the bible is Love. However, I look at the world now and have to wonder if anyone truly reads the bible? I personally do not. I do not know if I believe in God and the directions given in the bible specifically. I do believe there is a power higher than us. The earth should be revered and respected. You can see the power contained in the earth by watching it renew itself with floods, fires, hurricanes, etc. Because of my beliefs, or non-beliefs, one may think I am in no position to have an opinion on the religious. Maybe I don't. But I can't help observe hypocrisies.

I find it ironic all the people who are so offended by not being able to pray in school, not being able to display the ten commandments in government buildings, not being able to throw their religion in everyone else's face. When did religion become a benchmark of how "good" of a person you are? When did it become anyone's business how you worship, where you worship, what you worship or if you worship? Why do people feel it necessary to flaunt their holiness in public. Are they better because they pray out loud, in public, before eating lunch or dinner? Are they more spiritual because they are American? Where is the tolerance, the love, the private, personal relationship with God that is preached in the book that is supposedly the cornerstone of Christianity?

This is a main reason I am not religious. If I feel closer to the power greater than us, it is not in a building and certainly not in a mega church. I feel closer when I am in nature, surrounded by the awe and beauty that is greater than me. I feel closer when I am being trusted with the deepest secrets and dreams of a friend. I feel closer when I am reading a great book or listening to beautiful music or looking at a magnificent work of art or architecture. When I see something that is greater than myself, but that touches me on a deep level. I feel closer when I am forced to examine myself and discover a flaw and a path to fixing it. These are things that are personal. These are things that I will not flaunt in public. These are things that I must experience alone.

I strongly believe that we were made to question, to constantly seek the answers to the unknown. That all of this searching will ultimately help us become better humans. But, we must put others ahead of ourselves. It will be of no use if we become better for self gain. We must love our fellow man and the environment that we live in. This is the one word that sums up the whole reason I believe we are on this earth. We must learn to love, unconditionally. Once we achieve that level of selflessness, we will be complete.

Love is: A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.

3 Comments:

At 23 August, 2005 23:12 , Blogger Josh K said...

Well said. For most, church is just a habit, supersition, or most often just a social event. As you pointed out, it often provides status as well. But don't let the hypocrisy of others dissuade you of finding God for yourself.

 
At 24 August, 2005 10:18 , Blogger Heather said...

I don't think it is. However, I am probably finding God in a more non-traditional approach.

 
At 24 August, 2005 12:45 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? You don't want to go to Six Flags Over Jesus, out there on the highway, pay your admission and enjoy the show? What's wrong with you? Ain't you a 'Merican?

Actually, what you are describing is closer to the faith of the ancient catholic mystics. I dig it. May your search be fruitful. I suspect you are closer to God than you think.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home