Expansion Joints

Somewhat Daily Happenings of an Intern Architect

8.10.2005

I started this blog writing about my thoughts on solar energy, suburban sprawl and humanities choices. That got me really frustrated, so I erased it.

The longer I practice architecture, the further I get from reasons I enjoy architecture. So, in this blog, I am going to brainstorm on those reasons in hopes of regaining my inspiration. I am going to try to refrain from comparing what I enjoy to what I actually do. That would just be depressing. I think this will be a manifesto of sorts.

Here goes.

Architecture shapes our environment, both sensory and physical. The role of architecture should be to provide a physical enclosure that protects, inspires, comforts. This can be accomplished through materials, spatiality, site, views.

As an architect I should create spaces that inspire.

I should create spaces that respect and enhance the environment surrounding them.

I should create spaces from materials that do not deplete the earth.

Architecture is of this earth and should, therefore respect it in every way. Giving back when possible.

I should create spaces that allow for discovery both internally and externally.

Architecture should be a form of beauty from the way it sits on a site, to the overall appearance, down to the way the column meets the beam. It should always invoke further exploration and understanding.

2 Comments:

At 11 August, 2005 17:18 , Blogger Michael said...

Interesting thoughts Heather. I've never asked Mark what drew him to architecture. I wonder what he'd think of your thoughts.

 
At 12 August, 2005 14:25 , Blogger Heather said...

Of course, I could write what the reality is. Maybe next blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home