Expansion Joints

Somewhat Daily Happenings of an Intern Architect

11.18.2005

WOW

I just had the most amazing two hours.

We went to a Mountain Heart concert at the Imperial Theatre in downtown Augusta. These guys have such energy and talent that I have never experienced. Now, I like bluegrass of all kinds. From the backyard pickin to the "commercial". However, none of those sounds begin to match what I heard tonight. I don't even think I will be able to put it into words. It was inspiring. It was energizing. To see these guys play - and they played fast! - got the toes tapping, the hands clapping and the adrenalin pumping. I love music, but when you hear really good stuff, it is incomparable.

It blows my mind to see musicians not only be able to play notes, but to put life into sound. I cannot fathom the thought process that goes into that. I'm sure some may think it's amazing to be able to design a space from nothing, but to me it's easy. Maybe it's the same for these guys. It's just how they think. I am just glad that they can share that talent with the rest of us poor souls.

I also appreciate that they are a bluegrass band. I haven't done much research into the history of bluegrass, so if anyone has any reading material they can point me to, that would be great. It seems to me that it derives from the Celtic/ Scottish sound. And seeing that those were the primary settlers in the Appalachian mountains, it makes since. But the thing that I have noticed with bluegrass, more than any other type of music, is its ability to bring people from all facets of society together. I saw well coiffed, cashmere clad men and women, ten gallon hats and boots, children, elderly, hippy and suburbanites. And we were all brought together by the love of good, downhome pickin' and grinnin'. You just can't beat that.

Purity.

2 Comments:

At 19 November, 2005 19:25 , Blogger Summer from Lorelei Caroline said...

The only thing I know about it is that the banjo comes from Africa. It was brought over by the slaves.

 
At 20 November, 2005 13:20 , Blogger BanjoBen said...

What was brought by the slaves was a crude, hide-covered gourd instrument with 3 strings. It was an Irishman, Joel Sweeney (ca. 1831), that invented the first REAL, 5-string banjo. It was also the Irish/Celtic people who are primarily credited with "mountain music." It's really interesting that when you listen to bluegrass you can often hear a lot of the same ideas that you'll hear in Irish music. At any rate, glad you enjoyed the show.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home