Expansion Joints

Somewhat Daily Happenings of an Intern Architect

10.29.2005

The Vacation is Over

Well, that week went by quickly.

It is hard to believe that two weeks ago we were still in Springfield. I am glad we decided to take an extra week off before starting work. We haven't actually done anything, but it is good to take a break. I imagine that we will both be swamped come next week. We both seem to put extra pressure on ourselves to do well, especially when we are starting something new. I am anxious to see what type of project I will be working on.

Thursday night Christian had to attend the CSRA (Central Savannah River Area) RDC (Regional Development Center) annual business meeting. Being the "wife" I had to attend, too. It was a good opportunity to meet many of Christian's co-workers. Everyone seems very nice. We already got a couple of dinner invitations. The historic preservationist (who had given me the list of architects to send my info to) came up and whisked me away. She took me to the outside of the building we were meeting in to show me the plaque that said my office designed the building. It was the pavillion at the headwaters of the Savannah river. She then explained some of the history of the canal, various outbuildings that had recently be renovated, and to tell me some of the local museums that we had to check out.

Last night we went out with our across the hall neighbors. Last week, Christain had meet the guy and he said they would get together with us this week and go grab some dinner. I was overwhelmed at the hospitality. I mean, I would expect a "welcome to the neighborhood/ city", but not "let's go get dinner", too. Well, they had left a note on our door inviting us to dinner Thursday. Obviously, that wasn't good for us, so we made plans for Friday. They drove us around to some of the nearby trailheads, and then we went for pizza and beer. They seem like a really nice couple. We also seem to have very similar ideals. That is good, because it seems our "liberal" opinions are the minority. She is from rural West Virginia and he is from New York. He is a medical student and she is getting a degree in Public Admin./ Public Health. Very interesting.

So, here we are, settled in. Potentially with new friends and close to family. Even with all of this, I am very much looking forward to January. We get to go to Belize for 8 days, but more importantly, we get to see a couple of our friends from Springfield. Even with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, that is the highlight of our future plans.

Well, today we will be watching Clemson (go Tigers) vs. GA Tech . Later this evening we may go to a local coffee house and check out a Bluegrass band. Tomorrow we will probably take the bikes out on one of the trails. Busy. Busy.

4 Comments:

At 29 October, 2005 22:39 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, sounds like a great jump start on your new adventure! I thought that "southern hospitality" was an urban myth.
I'm glad you guys have 'clicked' so soon. (not that I had any doupts!)

Sfd. today was the Perfect Fall Day. Just want to keep you posted on what you're missing... :) It was blue skies, Leaves turning (but still on the trees) and a crisp 62 degrees. We decorated our front porch for Halloween, and went to Matt's house next door for a kids pumpkin carving and cookie decorating party. (with my nieces). Then Harper and I decorated a Halloween tree, Yikes!
Spiders and cob webs. She was in goulish heaven.

Not much new at the office. John has sort of moved drawings over to your station. I keep waiting to find his bike there...
...We took the Stages consultants to the Sfd. Brewery Wed. after our meeting and they were impressed.

Tim and I shopped in St. Louis last weekend for end tables and found a cool store called "World Market". If you see one, check it out. It's like Pier One, but has lots more stuff and food and wine. We bought a cool palm tree and some glasses and some GREAT lamps that I love. We're going to do a "west indies" look, and the tables are at Pottery Barn and are very British colonial. I am going to get some white light curtains for that breezy look of the islands.

Have a great first week at work! :)
I'm sure it will be hard to find co-workers as fun as your PP peeps.

avon

 
At 30 October, 2005 11:19 , Blogger Manuel said...

Hmmm. I'm looking downstairs and I see two bikes parked in the bedroom. I am wondering, "Are there more bikes?" Or is the Sunday bike ride to be one done by surrogate riders - Summer and me? LOL

Anyway, I hope the bluegrass band was better than the Tiger-Tech game and I hope work goes well this week.

 
At 30 October, 2005 16:34 , Blogger Heather said...

Dear dadoo, even though Christian and I are a minority with owning only one car, we do have alternative modes of transportation and own two bikes each. The ones at your house are our road bikes. The bikes we use to go on fast, long rides. We also have two hybrid bikes that are equipped with bags and are used to tool around on trails, and in the urban jungle. They are otherwise known as our commuter bikes.

 
At 31 October, 2005 12:29 , Blogger Manuel said...

Wow! A four bike family!! I hope the rides went well and I am glad I didn't have to ride it for you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home