Expansion Joints

Somewhat Daily Happenings of an Intern Architect

9.06.2005

Productive Weekend

This weekend turned out to be a lot more productive than we had planned. We had initially talked about going to Memphis for the weekend to celebrate our 7th anniversary. Due to Christian's pulled hamstring and the events that unfolded this past week, we decided it wasn't the right time.

Friday was a tough day for me. I don't think I was at all productive at work. My mind kept wandering back to the Hurricane victims. I found a few places to register our house to be a host house for the displaced.

Friday afternoon we called some friends to see if they wanted to go have dinner with us. They said they were in the middle of painting their house and probably wouldn't be able to. Christian and I made dinner and decided we should go help them. They had helped us with our porch, and we need to do something. Otherwise, we would have watched the news all evening and gotten severely depressed. Saturday, Sunday and Monday, we put in several hours painting. It was actually a lot of fun, and even though we weren't able to do anything to help the Hurricane victims, at least we were able to help someone. It made us feel much better, and we put them WAY ahead of schedule.

Saturday I bought some fabric to make throw pillows for the living room. I cleaned the house, did laundry and got groceries. Sunday night we went to dinner for our anniversary (since everything was closed Monday). It was a very good dinner.

I find it interesting that a few months ago, I would have felt we were imposing or if our friends needed/ wanted our help, they would ask. Now I am more than willing to offer a helping hand. Even if it is just picking up something from the grocery store. I would like to chalk it up to another level of maturation. Becoming more aware of what is going on and needed around me and giving up my extra time to help others. Giving really does feel good, and we couldn't have had a better anniversary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home