Expansion Joints

Somewhat Daily Happenings of an Intern Architect

11.08.2006

A Sigh of Relief

I am so glad the elections are over. Not because I am not politically minded, but because I get tired of the slandering ads. I am not going to go into it, because the whole thing makes me really angry, but I am glad it is over for now.

We are quickly getting settled in to our home. I have all of the rooms put together and unpacked except the mudroom and spare bedroom. Christian has been installing deadbolts on the doors, so his tools are all over the mudroom. The spare bedroom is another story. It is the catch all room. A lot of it will move out to one of the storage rooms in the garage, but most of it needs a home that only exists in boxes. I need a library. By that, I mean, I need (at least) an entire room to keep my books. Do you think 10 boxes of books is too much? I even got rid of a few before we moved from Springfield. Of course, I have bought and read about 20 books this past year. Does this constitute a problem? Other than lack of storage space, I don't think so. Reading is extremely important. To be able to escape into your imagination is a trait I am seeing disappear in the younger generation. When I have children, they are not going to have electronic toys, they are not going to have video games, movies, or tv to keep their attention. Well, maybe Sesame Street will be okay. They will have books (big surprise there), building toys, balls, and a bike. All of their toys will fit in one basket. (hey, I won't have room for toys and my books).

Okay, I kind of went off on a tangent with that. Anyway, we are getting settled in. Next week, we will be adding some closet organizers, and possibly painting the hall. I am going for a burnt orange color.

I also have a new energy to get involved with the community again. I've been on hiatus for the past year, and that is more than enough. Owning a home and establishing roots was one of the things that we were missing from Springfield. We still miss all of our friends, but at least we are getting some peace of mind.

2 Comments:

At 13 November, 2006 09:50 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

While Jeannie and I wait to hear on several promising job leads (I have telephone interviews for jobs in Wilmington and Raleigh, NC, we are thrilled about your new home. To get the burnt orange color you want, go to Home Depot. They have a service where you can have them mix up your favorite sports teams colors to paint a room in your home. One team available is the University of Texas whose colors are burnt orange and cream.

After years of ignoring the whole music scene, I've gotten back into my DJ mode in search of little known bands that make great music. After multiple listenings I think you'd like the following:

Enter The Haggis (yes that is their name.)
Blue October
Porcupine Tree
The Gathering

When I strated this process I found a semi-known band that was really good, but six months later giving you the name Snow Patrol sounds like bandwagon (pardon the pun) jumping.

Christian rock bands I enjoy are:
Ra
Lifehouse
The Elms
Cadet
Skillet

Enjoy!

Just Dan

 
At 13 November, 2006 16:14 , Blogger Heather said...

We are very excited about the prospects of having you back on the East Coast. We miss y'all!!!!

I have the Benjamin Moore color wheel (perks of being an architect), and have a nice pumkin color picked out.

I have heard Blue October, and like them. We have also discovered a group, The Decemberites. Pretty cool.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home